ARIA roledescription property
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The below section element has a roledescription of "slide".
Quarterly Accessibility Report
The site was 97% conformant to WCAG 2 Level A and AA.
Slide 4 of 40
The button below has a role description of toggle button.
The checkbox below has a role description of foo.
The div below has a role description of toggle button.
Assistive Technology Support
- iOS 13.4.1 Announces roledescription on button
- iOS 12.1.4 with VoiceOver does not support this property.
- JAWS 2020 (April update) roledescription announced on button.
- JAWS 2018 and 2019 (test on Firefox Chrome and Internet explorer) does support this property.
- NVDA 2019.1 (test on Firefox and chrome) does support this property.
- Use of roledescription will cover up the native role.
- Users may not understand what actions to take with a given role description
- Some research from the Phet Accessibility team indicated that starting off with a role of button for things like objects in simulations made more sense to users of screen readers.
- Native states are still announced
- Braille will show roledescription text instead of role -- but won't be put into shorthand (e.g. btn) and some native markers like < > will still appear for checkboxes (the indicator JAWS users to communicate something is checkbox)