In the below list Aria-current is set to page on the second link.
In the below list Aria-current is set to true on Banana
In the following list aria-current is set to step on eat
- open food
- cook food
aria-current is set to location on contact Main | Contact | Training
In the following list of dates aria-current is set to date on May 30
In the calendar below the 17th is the current date.
aria-current is set to "time" on 12:34
Aria-current set to false
- the world is flat
ARIA-current set to ssb
The following are a real button and an ARIA button with aria-current="true".
False is the default if ARIA current is not set. This is not announced by AT and is the expected result. If ARIA-current is set to anything but one of the values listed in the ARIA 1.1 specification then then it is treated as being set to true. (see the SSB example above) ARIA-current cannot replace ARIA-selected In this example a red color is used to show visually where ARIA-current is Applied. This includes the ARIA-false example.
Assistive Technology Results
- JAWS 18 and JAWS 2018 announces the ARIA-current State as expected. For example 12:34 current time. This is in Internet Explorer, FireFox, and chrome.
The ARIA-current state is not shown in Braille and in the links list a link with ARIA-current is displayed as unavailable.
- JAWS 17 seems to be inconsistent with how it handles aria-current. Freedom Scientific claims to have added support for aria-current in JAWS 18, so I'd expect earlier versions to simply ignore it, but it seems like it may be more complicated than that (with IE11).
- NVDA 2017.2 and 2018.1 announces the ARIA-current State as expected. For example 12:34 current time. This is in Internet Explorer, FireFox, and chrome.
- In iOS 10.3.2 and 10.3.3 the Aria-current state is announced on links but not list items.
- Update from Bryan G on 02/12/2018:
- aria-current is presently supported when using JAWS 18 or 2018 in IE11, Firefox, and Chrome, and when using VoiceOver in Safari within iOS such as the iPhone or iPad.
Not supported in the following combinations:
- macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra/Safari 12.0.2 /VoiceOver
- Android 7/Chrome 70/Android Accessibility Suite 7.2/TalkBack
- Nexus 5 Phone Android 6.01 TalkBack 6.2/Chrome 70