IOS Accessibility Issues
List of iOS accessibility issues
- Picker control (the control which is displayed when a <select> element is present on a web page, for example): focus does not return properly from picker control in web content
- Present in iOS 9.x, changed but not fixed in 10.1
- This also appears to affect the on-screen keyboard when you either tap the Done button on iPhone or tap the close keyboard button on iPad. Focus is not returned to the field in which you were just typing with the OSK.
- Bug 161118 – AX: VoiceOver on iOS ignores aria-checked on menuitemradio and menuitemcheckbox https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161118
- AX: ARIA tree & treeitem roles & aria-expanded state not spoken to VoiceOver iOS 10
- iOS 10.0 broke support for links' use of aria-labelledby and aria-label, and it remains broken in 10.2. From 9/26/16 WebAIM post from Paul Adam found by Jon. Test file given is http://pauljadam.com/demos/linkpurpose.html. VO in 10.x announces links' inner text but fails to announce aria-labelledby or aria-label when present in these links, though it does announce aria-describedby correctly.
- iOS 10's support for role=dialog has changed, with "good news and bad news". Good news: the dialog is treated as a landmark and its boundaries are announced (web dialog / end web dialog). The (very) bad news is that adding aria-modal="true" breaks the reading of the dialog and prevents access to the rest of the page. That was tested by adding aria-modal="true" to the dialog in https://labs.ssbbartgroup.com/index.php/ARIA_Dialog_Role. (Get further info from prior email thread and add here.)
Safari related VoiceOver/iOS bugs should be logged on the Webkit bugzilla page. Bookmark this short URL: http://webkit.org/new-ax-bug
Here’s the list of all open WebKit AX bugs: https://bugs.webkit.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=625399&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=Accessibility&product=WebKit
In addition to WebAIM posts, Jon also suggested Twitter is a good place to look for others #ios10 #a11y He also suggested that applevis.com is a good place to look for what iOS 10 might have fixed/improved in VO.