Known OS/Browser/AT Issues
When describing known issues, be sure to note the version of OS, browser and AT where the issue can be reproduced. It is not necessary for the original reporter to determine if the issue affects other versions of OS/Browser/AT, but notes can be added by others if the issue is found in other versions. Also, notes should be added if it is observed that the issue is not present in another version of OS/Browser/AT.
- 1 Windows and ...
- 2 NVDA
- 3 MacOS and ...
- 4 iOS
- 5 Android
- 6 Windows 10 Phone
- 7 Aria-describedby Support
- 8 Bug Reporting to Vendors
Windows and ...
- In IE 11, with JAWS version 2018.1802.78, when a user reads a link that has the appropriate ARIA for a menu button, then the href value of the link is added to the JAWS announcement.
- In IE 11, with JAWS version 18.0.2118 and 18.0.2324, when a user tabs to a link element, aria-expanded value as collapsed or expanded is not announced. However, navigating in virtual cursor announces the aria-expanded value. Please note, this works fine in JAWS 17.0. This also affects buttons that have aria-expanded.
- The link results with 18.0.2324 may be inconsistent, as I (MikeS) have a case where 18.0.2324 fixed the problem with links that 18.0.2118 had, but Mansi said 18.0.2324 still exhibits the problem.
- JAWS 18 (tested 18.0.2118) now supports the new aria-current, where JAWS 17 did not.
- JAWS 18 (tested 18.0.2118) supports aria-posinset and aria-setsize for widgets like tabs and listboxes, where 17 did not.
- JAWS 18 (tested 18.0.2118 and 18.0.2324) - self referential aria-labelledby attributes with multiple tokens (See Self Referential aria-labelledby) cause JAWS to announce the self-referential id token once, and all other tokens twice. Issue is not encountered with JAWS 17.
- JAWS 16 had some problems announcing ARIA live region updates, problems that did not occur in v.15 and that were generally fixed in v.17.
- In IE when navigating to an ARIA Slider in virtual Cursor mode after Forms mode has been activated nothing is announced JAWS 18 IE 11 Labs ARIA Slider
- ARIA spin buttons The role is not announced when navigating in virtual cursor mode using the arrow keys in Internet Explorer.
- In some cases when adjusting the value of an aria spin button JAWS announces blank in Internet Explorer. http://oaa-accessibility.org/example/33/
- NVDA 2016.4 does not yet support the new aria-current. This was fixed in NVDA 2017.2
- NVDA 2016.4 double-read when a homegrown ARIA Listbox was opened after activating its triggering toggle button. It read: "Select a frequency. List. Once. 1 of 6. Select a frequency. List. Once. 1 of 6."
- NVDA 2017.1 ARIA List Box List items are announced in Browse mode in Internet Explorer when navigating with the ARROW keys. In Internet Explorer, navigate to ARIA list Box lab page Navigate to the Platform Label. Press DOWN ARROW Notice that NVDA announces the list items iOS, Android, Windows Phone. According to bug 6934 this should not be the case. (6965)
Firefox (on Windows)
- Firefox 57 / Quantum - do not use with NVDA or JAWS, use Firefox 56 or better yet, install the 'ESR' release of Firefox, version 52.4.x. Add details of problems here. Basically navigation with Fire Fox is slow with screen readers
Chrome (on Windows)
MacOS and ...
- Intermittently, the swipe right gesture causes focus to move to the element under the user's finger where they swiped. This issue has been observed in Android OS version 6, with Nexus and Samsung devices. The issue has not been observed in Android OS version 7.
- Firefox version 5x - add information about the latest big problem forcing us to downgrade - or use Chrome.
- Firefox version 53 (any earlier versions too?): Firefox reports HTML and ARIA checkboxes as buttons. This should be fixed in Firefox 54.
- Firefox versions 43 through 46: had a severe problem that prevented TalkBack users from being able to activate links. For much of 2016 until v.47 fixed the problem, we deliberately downgraded Firefox to v.42 to avoid this problem.
Android browser (not Chrome)
Windows 10 Phone
Some AT/Browser combinations have support issues with aria-describedby. The link below documents known combinations that lack support.
Bug Reporting to Vendors
- Apple: email email@example.com (native only)
Bookmark this short URL to log webView/Safari bugs for Apple: http://webkit.org/new-ax-bug
Here’s the list of all open WebKit AX bugs: https://bugs.webkit.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=625399&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&component=Accessibility&product=WebKit
- Freedom Scientific: a few SSB employees have been granted access to their bug-tracking system, including (confirm) Jon, Bryan, Roy, possibly Doug.